|gTLD||Full Legal Name||E-mail suffix||Detail|
|.lundbeck||H. Lundbeck A⁄S||lundbeck.com||View|
THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .LUNDBECK gTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST AND CONFIDENCE THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY.
The new .lundbeck gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which H. Lundbeck A⁄S (Lundbeck) can create and control domain spaces that promote its brand identity and authenticity. In this regard, the .lundbeck gTLD will provide an authoritative internet space for Lundbeck to provide information, services and resources to consumers in a way that promotes the brand awareness, exclusivity, trust, convenience and utility. Second and third level domains can then be utilised for information and marketing purposes, with internet users assured of brand authenticity.
Lundbeck is a global pharmaceutical company that was established in 1915. Lundbeck is conducting research into developing, manufacturing, marketing, selling and distributing pharmaceutical products for the treatment of disorders of the central nervous system (CNS) including depression, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and schizophrenia. Lundbeck is listed on the Copenhagen Stock Exchange (since 1999) and in 2010, Lundbeck generated a revenue of approximately DKK 14,8 billion. Lundeck currently has almost 6,000 employees worldwide in 57 countries with its pharmaceutical products registered in more than 100 countries. Further, Lundbeck has production facilities in Italy, France, Mexico and Denmark and has research centres in Denmark and the US. As a leading global pharmaceutical company, consumer trust and continuous innovation are paramount considerations for Lundbeck.
Business activities are increasingly conducted over the internet, allowing for greater levels of interaction between businesses and customers. As a result, both businesses and end users benefit from ease of interaction and a wider range of choices with lower transaction costs. However, the development in this arena in the current domain name system has exposed both businesses and consumers to increased criminal activities over the internet, including data breach, hacking and phishing. These sophisticated criminal activities cause reputational damage to businesses as internet users lose consumer confidence and trust with the businesses targeted by such criminal activities. The .lundbeck gTLD will facilitate greater trust and assurance from internet users connecting with Lundbeck online, whilst still allowing convenient and efficient interaction.
Lundbeck’s mission and purpose of the proposed new gTLD share ICANN’s initiatives to promote public interest. Lundbeck is committed to contribute towards achieving such initiatives in line with ICANN’s Affirmation of Commitments, which includes:
- consumer trust: the .lundbeck gTLD registry will be operated in a centralised manner with a restrictive registration policy. Registration of domain names will only be available to Lundbeck which will provide added consumer trust that .lundbeck domain names are trustworthy. As .lundbeck domain names are subject to registration standards, policies and procedures under Lundbeck’s control, this eliminates the possibility of malicious conduct within the .lundbeck domain space;
- competition: the proposed new gTLD is not intended to instigate competition and consumer choice at the level of registration of domain names among prospective registrants. Instead it is anticipated to contribute to ICANN’s initiatives to promote public interest through its operation focused on promoting consumer trust. Increased trust in .lundbeck gTLD will drive existing and new top level domain (TLD) registry operators to make improvements in mechanisms to improve consumer trust of their TLDs; and
- consumer choice: the proposed new gTLD will enable user-driven improvements and innovations assisting Lundbeck’s marketing efforts through its ability to create new second and third level domain names on demand. These names will provide the consumers with more choices for interacting with Lundbeck. As Lundbeck has effective control over the registration and use of domain names under .lundbeck domain space, this will also contribute towards general service innovations on the internet.
Given the restricted nature of the .lundbeck gTLD, the projected number of registration is likely to be limited. It is anticipated that a more limited number of domain names (around 100) will be registered in the first year. However, over the next few years, the number of registrations is likely to increase to about 250 domain names as Lundbeck develops and implements new services and marketing campaigns. As the new .lundbeck gTLD expands and evolves, Lundbeck will continue to comply with all operational, technical and policy requirements, as well as maintaining consumer trust and the stability of the internet. Lundbeck will keep ICANN reasonably informed of any material developments relating to .lundbeck gTLD including compliance with the continued operations instrument obligations as set out in Specification 8 of the Registry Agreement.
Lundbeck intends to create relevant domain names for use including product, services or geographic names in the second or third level domain names. In accordance with registration policy and the proposed measures for protection of geographic names as outlined in response to Question 22, Lundbeck will use geographic names to localise its websites in the countries in which it currently operates. The use of geographic names is intended to:
- connect internet users with relevant information as applicable to the territory; and
- comply with required rules and regulations in the national territory.
At this stage, Lundbeck does not intend to utilise Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) at the second level. However, as the use of the .lundbeck gTLD evolves, Lundbeck msy utilise IDNs within the .lundbeck domain space to allow internet users to engage with .lundbeck in their native language, creating a more positive user experience and encouraging diversity.
Lundbeck is a well-recognised global brand with its trademarks registered in all European and 26 other countries and territories for the following category: class 5 (pharmaceutical and veterinary preparations, pharmaceutical preparations and substances for the prevention and treatment of disorders and diseases in, generated from, affecting, acting on or stimulating the central nervous system).
Further, Lundbeck has over 1,500 existing domain names, of which 215 domain names contain the “lundbeck” trademark and 161 domain names are exact matches to the “lundbeck” trademark, in the following spaces:
- gTLDs: lundbeck.com, lundbeck-lexapro.com, lundbeck-pharma.com, lundbeck-symposia.com, lundbeck.mobi, lundbeck.net, lundbeck.org, lundbeck.tel, lundbeckcodeofconduct.com, lundbeckelearning.com, lundbeckinstitute.com, lundbeckinstitute.org, lundbeckpharma.com, lundbeckpharamaceuticals.com, lundbeckpharamceuticalsinfo.com, lundbeckpharamaceuticals.info, lundbeckpharamaceuticals.net, lundbeckpharamaceuticals.org, lundbecktrials.com
- country-code TLDs: lundbeck.ac, lundbeck.ae, lundbeck.ag, lundbeck.ai, lundbeck.am, lundbeck.as, lundbeck.be, lundbeck.cc, lundbeck.cn, lundbeck.co, lundbeck.co.jp, lundbeck.co.nz, lundbeck.co.za, lundbeck.com.mt, lundbeck.com.pa. lundbeck.com.ce, lundbeck.com.pk, lundbeck.com.pl, lundbeck.com.ro, lundbeck.com.ru, lundbeck.com.sg, lundbeck.do, lundbeck.hk, lundbeck.hn, lundbeck.ir, lundbeck.kg, lundbeck.ir. lundbeck.lv, lundbeck.lu, lundbeck.lt, lundbeck.mn, lundbeck.ua, lundbeck.vn
Recently, Lundbeck was successful in securing sunrise application for the following domain spaces based on existing trademark registration: .asia, .mobi, .tel, .org, .net
|gTLD||Full Legal Name||E-mail suffix||Detail|
|.fitness||Brice Orchard, LLC||donuts.co||View|
Q18A CHAR: 7985
Donuts Inc. is the parent applicant for this and multiple other TLDs. The company intends to increase competition and consumer choice at the top level. It will operate these carefully selected TLDs safely and securely in a shared resources business model. To achieve its objectives, Donuts has recruited seasoned executive management with proven track records of excellence in the industry. In addition to this business and operational experience, the Donuts team also has contributed broadly to industry policymaking and regulation, successfully launched TLDs, built industry-leading companies from the ground up, and brought innovation, value and choice to the domain name marketplace.
DONUTS’ PLACE WITHIN ICANN’S MISSION
ICANN and the new TLD program share the following purposes:
1. to make sure that the Internet remains as safe, stable and secure as possible, while
2. helping to ensure there is a vibrant competitive marketplace to efficiently bring the benefits of the namespace to registrants and users alike.
ICANN harnesses the power of private enterprise to bring forth these public benefits. While pursuing its interests, Donuts helps ICANN accomplish its objectives by:
1. Significantly widening competition and choice in Internet identities with hundreds of new top-level domain choices;
2. Providing innovative, robust, and easy-to-use new services, names and tools for users, registrants, registrars, and registries while at the same time safeguarding the rights of others;
3. Designing, launching, and securely operating carefully selected TLDs in multiple languages and character sets; and
4. Providing a financially robust corporate umbrella under which its new TLDs will be protected and can thrive.
ABOUT DONUTS’ RESOURCES
Donuts’ financial resources are extensive. The company has raised more than US$100 million from a number of capital sources including multiple multi-billion dollar venture capital and private equity funds, a top-tier bank, and other well-capitalized investors. Should circumstances warrant, Donuts is prepared to raise additional funding from current or new investors. Donuts also has in place pre-funded, Continued Operations Instruments to protect future registrants. These resource commitments mean Donuts has the capability and intent to launch, expand and operate its TLDs in a secure manner, and to properly protect Internet users and rights-holders from potential abuse.
Donuts firmly believes a capable and skilled organization will operate multiple TLDs and benefit Internet users by:
1. Providing the operational and financial stability necessary for TLDs of all sizes, but particularly for those with smaller volume (which are more likely to succeed within a shared resources and shared services model);
2. Competing more powerfully against incumbent gTLDs; and
3. More thoroughly and uniformly executing consumer and rights holder protections.
This TLD is attractive and useful to end-users as it better facilitates search, self-expression, information sharing and the provision of legitimate goods and services. Along with the other TLDs in the Donuts family, this TLD will provide Internet users with opportunities for online identities and expression that do not currently exist. In doing so, the TLD will introduce significant consumer choice and competition to the Internet namespace – the very purpose of ICANN’s new TLD program.
This TLD is a generic term and its second level names will be attractive to a variety of Internet users. Making this TLD available to a broad audience of registrants is consistent with the competition goals of the New TLD expansion program, and consistent with ICANN’s objective of maximizing Internet participation. Donuts believes in an open Internet and, accordingly, we will encourage inclusiveness in the registration policies for this TLD. In order to avoid harm to legitimate registrants, Donuts will not artificially deny access, on the basis of identity alone (without legal cause), to a TLD that represents a generic form of activity and expression.
DONUTS’ APPROACH TO PROTECTIONS
No entity, or group of entities, has exclusive rights to own or register second level names in this TLD. There are superior ways to minimize the potential abuse of second level names, and in this application Donuts will describe and commit to an extensive array of protections against abuse, including protections against the abuse of trademark rights.
We recognize some applicants seek to address harms by constraining access to the registration of second level names. However, we believe attempts to limit abuse by limiting registrant eligibility is unnecessarily restrictive and harms users by denying access to many legitimate registrants. Restrictions on second level domain eligibility would prevent law-abiding individuals and organizations from participating in a space to which they are legitimately connected, and would inhibit the sort of positive innovation we intend to see in this TLD. As detailed throughout this application, we have struck the correct balance between consumer and business safety, and open access to second level names.
By applying our array of protection mechanisms, Donuts will make this TLD a place for Internet users that is far safer than existing TLDs. Donuts will strive to operate this TLD with fewer incidences of fraud and abuse than occur in incumbent TLDs. In addition, Donuts commits to work toward a downward trend in such incidents.
Donuts has consulted with and evaluated the ideas of international law enforcement, consumer privacy advocacy organizations, intellectual property interests and other Internet industry groups to create a set of protections that far exceed those in existing TLDs, and bring to the Internet namespace nearly two dozen new rights and protection mechanisms to raise user safety and protection to a new level.
These include eight, innovative and forceful mechanisms and resources that far exceed the already powerful protections in the applicant guidebook. These are:
1. Periodic audit of WhoIs data for accuracy;
2. Remediation of inaccurate Whois data, including takedown, if warranted;
3. A new Domain Protected Marks List (DPML) product for trademark protection;
4. A new Claims Plus product for trademark protection;
6. Limitations on domain proxy and privacy service;
7. Published policies and procedures that define abusive activity; and
8. Proper resourcing for all of the functions above.
They also include fourteen new measures that were developed specifically by ICANN for the new TLD process. These are:
1. Controls to ensure proper access to domain management functions;
2. 24⁄7⁄365 abuse point of contact at registry;
3. Procedures for handling complaints of illegal or abusive activity, including remediation and takedown processes;
4. Thick WhoIs;
5. Use of the Trademark Clearinghouse;
6. A Sunrise process;
7. A Trademark Claims process;
8. Adherence to the Uniform Rapid Suspension system;
9. Adherence to the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy;
10. Adherence to the Post Delegation Dispute Resolution Policy;
11. Detailed security policies and procedures;
12. Strong security controls for access, threat analysis and audit;
13. Implementation DNSSEC; and
14. Measures for the prevention of orphan glue records.
DONUTS’ INTENTION FOR THIS TLD
As a senior government authority has recently said, “a successful applicant is entrusted with operating a critical piece of global Internet infrastructure.” Donuts’ plan and intent is for this TLD to serve the international community by bringing new users online through opportunities for economic growth, increased productivity, the exchange of ideas and information and greater self-expression.