22 Describe proposed measures for protection of geographic names at the second and other levels in the applied-for gTLD
|gTLD||Full Legal Name||E-mail suffix||Detail|
|.DELTA||Delta Air Lines, Inc.||sedari.com||View|
Delta is cognizant of the GAC advice in their management of second level domain name registrations as well as Specification 5 of the Registry Agreement.
Spec 5, New gTLD Agreement initially reserves at the 2nd and all other levels within the TLD:
• Country and territory names contained on the ISO 3166-1 list
• UN Group of Experts on Geographical Names, Technical Reference Manual for the Standardisation of Geographical Names, Part II Names of Countries of the World, and
• The list of UN member states in 6 official UN languages prepared by the Working Group on Country Names of the UN Conference on the Standardization of Geographical Names
In accordance with the provisos contained in clause 5, such names may be released if the Registry Operator reaches agreement with the applicable government and⁄or the Registry Operator proposes release of the reserved name(s) subject to review by GAC and approved by ICANN.
Prima facie, the utilization of country names at the second and subsequent levels of the .Delta TLD is subject to the restrictions of Clause 5.
Deltaʹs strategy to avoid negative public policy outcomes in the release and utilization of country names at the 2nd and subsequent levels is based on the following:
1. Utilization of the reserved geographic names in conjunction with .Deltaʹs closed registry does not offend the principles of reservation
2. Delta at no point asserts to represent a named city or geographic location.
3. The inclusion of named geographic location at the 2nd or subsequent level benefits consumer identification of local Delta services and localizes a global system of communication
4. Usage of a geographic name in conjunction with a functional or service designation contextualises the geographic term in the structure of business service and delivery. This usage allows for greater service standards, clarity and utility.
5. Delta will work cooperatively with the GAC to ensure that the 2nd and subsequent levels of the proposed TLD comply with expressed public policies and goals.
Similar gTLD applications: (0)
|gTLD||Full Legal Name||E-mail suffix||z||Detail|